Date Published: October 15, 2013
By Kailey Pickitt
Class of 2016
Secretary, Clemson Undergraduate Student Senate
CAT bus transit shelters. The Tillman E flat Bell. The Bowman Field entrance sign.
These are just some of the campus projects that have been funded by Clemson University Undergraduate Student Government’s (CUSG) capital improvement account.
Each fiscal year, a sum of $75,000 is allocated to the CUSG capital improvement account to fund campus improvement projects. This investment is considered a gift from the student body to the campus and its faculty, staff, students, patrons and visitors.
CUSG seeks project-funding proposals from faculty, staff and students. Proposals should be submitted through our online Capital Improvement Application form by Nov. 9.
Requirements for funding proposals should include:
- Student and employee names and contact information
- Description of the project with metrics of success
- Explanation of how the project will benefit Clemson University students
- Detailed line-item budget
- Recurring Maintenance Costs
- Detailed time line with a specific completion date
- Description of any other contributions to the project
Because projects are funded by the CUSG capital improvement account, faculty and staff who submit a proposal must partner with a student representative. Any student interested in submitting a proposal must partner with a full-time university faculty or staff member who can hold responsibility for the capital improvement account.
Proposals will be reviewed for recommendations to the Undergraduate Student Senate. Those whose projects are selected for further review will present their proposals to the Undergraduate Student Senate in January. The Senate will then debate and vote on the proposals in the form of a general bill. Funds for approved projects will be available shortly after.
The annual $75,000 funding comes from a number of campus entities, including:
- $50,000 from the Student Activity Fund, and
- $25,000 comes from the revenue of game day parking in R-1, as accorded by the Athletic Department.
Although it is not required, I encourage anyone with questions to meet with me before submitting a proposal. For questions or more information, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.