Date Published: May 1, 2014
The South Carolina Senate Finance Committee completed its work on the state budget late last night, Wednesday, April 30.
The Senate Finance version of the budget contains the following specifically for Clemson University:
- $1 million in recurring funding for student career opportunity programs (on-campus internships)
- $400,000 in recurring funding for Focus on Student Success (increasing 4-year graduation rates)
- $1.6 million in nonrecurring funding for critical electrical upgrades
- $750,000 in recurring funding for the Agribusiness and Emerging Farmers Extension program
- $750,000 in recurring funding for Precision Agriculture and Environmental Technology Research
- $3 million in nonrecurring funding for agriculture and natural resources research equipment
The committee also funded additional dollars for critical equipment repair and replacement for higher education institutions. Each institution’s specific allocation will be distributed on a pro rata basis and will require match dollars.
The committee included a 1.5 percent cost of living pay increase for state employees in its version of the budget as well as a $300 bonus for each state employee.
The committee’s version of the budget includes an increase in the cost of health insurance for state employees, which will be paid by the state. Under this plan, state employees would see a small co-pay increase.
The budget now goes to the full South Carolina Senate for consideration.