Date Published: January 14, 2014
Capt. Steven Jordan, USAF
Operations Flight Commander
AFROTC DET 770, Clemson, S.C.
Clemson University’s Army and Air Force ROTC units held a joint ceremony on Dec. 18 to commission nine second lieutenants. Three students received commissions into the U.S. Army and six students received commissions into the U.S. Air Force.
Those commissioned into the U.S. Army included:
- Eric Basso of Hoschton, Ga., majoring in computer engineering
- Shandie Owenby of Cornelia, Ga., majoring in mathematical sciences
- Michael Schwartz, Jr of Elkton, Md., majoring in management
Those commissioned into the U.S. Air Force included:
- Rebecca Johnson of Charles City, Va., majoring in Chinese language and international health
- Ryan Pierce of Anderson, majoring in mathematical sciences
- Gregory Stegall of Destin, Fla., majoring in electrical engineering
- Joshua Van Abel of Beaufort, majoring in political science
- Corey Watt of Simpsonville, majoring in civil engineering
- Joshua Williams of Easley, majoring in bioengineering
The ceremony featured guest speaker Brigadier General Paul Chamberlain, a 1988 Clemson alumnus and the current commander of the U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute at Fort Jackson.
Following the commissioning ceremony, the new lieutenants participated in a Silver Dollar Salute ceremony at Military Heritage Plaza. The ceremony marks the first salute received by the new officer from an enlisted member. As a sign of mutual respect, the officer presents the enlisted member with a silver dollar.